Leland and Gray’s school nurse provides early detection and care for students who experience immediate, short-term, or long-term health problems. While care is provided on site, students who are ill should stay at home or be sent home from school under the care of their parents/guardians. A student should be free from an elevated temperature for 24 hours without the use of Tylenol or Ibuprofen before returning to school. Students who are ill must meet with the school nurse. They can only leave school with approval from the nurse as well as permission from the parent, guardian, or emergency contact. Students must sign out in the main office before departure.
Health Insurance and Records
Every Leland and Gray student should have health insurance. The nurse can provide information to students and parents/guardians on how children can obtain insurance and receive the physical, dental, and mental health care necessary during secondary school. The school maintains confidential health records for all students based on health forms completed by parents/guardians every year.
Prescription and Over-the-Counter Medication F06
Medication is best administered in the home. At school, students may neither carry nor self-administer prescription or over-the-counter drugs. Any student who must take medication during the school day must comply with the following regulations:
- Written orders from a physician detailing the name of the drug(s), dosage, and time interval the medication will be taken.
- Written permission from the parent/guardian directed to the nurse, requesting that the school comply with the physician’s order.
- Medications must be brought to the nurse in a container appropriately labeled by the pharmacy or physician.
- The nurse provides a locked cabinet for storing all medications.
- Medication is dispensed by the nurse or her designee who consents to assume the responsibility.
- Parent/Guardians must give written permission for the school to give over the-counter drugs to a student.
Federal Child Nutrition Act Wellness Policy F28
It is the policy of the Leland and Gray School District to establish goals for nutrition education, physical activity and other school based activities that are designed to promote student wellness. With the objective of promoting student health and reducing childhood obesity, the district will also establish nutrition guidelines for all foods available at school during the school day. Please contact school administration for more information or to become involved in promoting wellness at our school.